Applying to Stanford
Hopkins Marine Station is part of the Doerr School of Sustainability, although our faculty has appointments across the Oceans and Biology departments. Given that the departments are in different schools within Stanford, it's imperative that you reach out to the individual Hopkins faculty members you hope to work with regarding the appropriate application (Biology or Oceans) and track to choose. Please refer to the Graduate Admissions website for specific Biology and Oceans requirements and their respective applications.
A few quick tips below from our current graduate students when applying:
- Keep in mind that your official undergraduate transcript request will take a long time to process, so order transcripts well in advance.
- Ask for your letters of recommendation way before they are due (1-2 months prior).
- Give yourself plenty of time to fill out the application. The online component has several sections.
- In your "Statement of Purpose" essay be sure to include your specific research interests and how they mesh with those of your potential adviser(s).
- Have your essay proofread by as many people as possible.
- There is an application fee of $125, but this can be waived if it is prohibitive. Please don't let this fee prevent you form applying!! Find out more about the fee waiver here.